Monday, March 21, 2016

Embracing My XX

Sometimes I wonder if I’m too old for this gig. I wonder if I should bother trying to make it as a writer or just go back to working a nine to five office job. Then I remember, oh, yeah, I’ve been out “the regular workforce” for at least four years now, so, uh, yeah, anywhere I go, I’m starting at the bottom. Why not start at the bottom of something I love doing? If I don’t make it as a writer, if I can’t afford to pay my rent and utilities writing, then okay, I’ll have to go get the job I would be looking at now anyway. I wouldn’t know if I could have made it, would I?
Financial security is a great thing, but for me, who has always wanted to write, financial security came at the cost of not doing what I loved. And guess what? I didn’t get rich from not doing what I loved.
I’ve seen a few blog posts lately about what advice I’d give my twenty-something self. There’s one thing I would say to my newly adulted self: Just be you.
The realization that I’m smart enough, talented enough, good enough, and strong enough to do what it is that I want to do, is coming slowly. I wish it would come a little faster because my twenties are long gone, and if I’m going to make up for lost time, I need to get on that…rapido. 
Yes, history is filled with examples of people who achieved great things once they’d passed forty. Frankly, I’m not looking for greatness; I just have a few milestones I’d like to hit. I have some goals I’d like to check off and I’d like to try some unfettered happiness for a while.
Just before I started at college, I was told, “Teaching is a good job for a woman.” That statement has pained me for many years, and the pain of it has changed as I’ve changed. At the time, I was eighteen, and what I wanted to pursue at college was writing. “You have to do something that pays the light bill,” was the reason I was given for not pursuing a degree in creative writing. I was young and insecure. I believed what people told me. I didn’t value myself and wasn’t able to summon enough strength to do what I wanted. I was unprepared to navigate alone.
At eighteen, what bothered me most about the teaching statement was that it said I wasn’t worth the risk of pursuing something extraordinary. The person who said it to me didn’t have the faith in me that I had the talent to achieve my goals. I needed to be someone ordinary to pay the light bills because I would never be extraordinary enough to be a writer. I wasn’t good enough.
The statement also denigrated teachers, many of whom I had and still have a lot of respect. “Teaching is a good job for a woman,” as opposed to “Teaching is a good job,” says that men are better used in another, better capacity. That teaching isn’t a job that requires strength or dedication, so let the women be teachers. When I finally did become a teacher, decades later, what I found was that teaching is a job that requires an inordinate amount of strength and dedication, no less than any other job, and more than so many others.
As I gained consciousness of bigger issues, I realized that the statement perpetuated a belief about me as a person that was also painful: as a girl, I wasn’t as a good as a boy, I wasn’t good enough for a man’s career. The belief bar, the expectations, had been set low from the outset because I was born female. When I helped my double econ-finance major apartment mate, two years my senior, with her papers and at her part-time job, as I wondered what her issue was. I did not recognize my own ability. When my Foundations of Education teaching assistant asked if he could publish the midterm I wrote in iambic pentameter, I shrugged it off, thinking it was clever but not that I was intelligent. As successive attorneys encouraged me to go to law school, I chose marriage instead because it was safer and what I was supposed to do, as a woman. I let the limiting belief that my gender diminishes me limit my belief in myself. I had accepted that belief unconsciously for a very long time, and when I recognized the truth behind it, the realization was wrenching. It remains painful to this day.
To raise myself, I needed new gods to foster belief in my inherent value. Gods that would reveal the truth: it has nothing to do with my gender; there is nothing wrong with having matching chromosomes. It’s not about deserving, because I deserve every good thing. It’s about belief. It’s about believing that I can meet expectations; no matter how high the bar is set, because being a woman isn’t a limiting factor. The limits are only where I set them. If I choose to put the work into writing, then my success stops when I do. I am every bit as good as a woman as any man, and frankly, better than some. I don’t have to accept a lesser life because I have a vagina.

Going back to the question of what I would tell my twenty-something self, I know what I would say: You go, girl. Don’t look back. Don’t ever doubt that you have what it takes. You just keep going.

3 comments:

  1. Good news is the young women of today don't see their limitations. Hope and her high school senior girlfriends think it is cool to be smart and do what makes them happy. They don't do anything to please the boys and couldn't care less to go to a dance stag. They enjoy each other and don't backstab. They want success for their friends and enjoy being girls. Hope for the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me so happy to hear! I don't want the crap we went through in school to be visited on girls any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now it's about spending time with people who believe in you and share your own belief that you are awesome and eliminating or severely limiting your time that you spend with those who don't share that same belief. I think it important to teach all of our children (boys and girls) this lesson so that they don't have to learn it in their 40's.

    ReplyDelete