Monday, February 29, 2016

This is not a love letter.

I know what you want. I know what you wanted. I don’t even begin to wish that I could be that person or do those things. I tried once. Remember? No, you don’t, do you? Because there was never a time that I was enough, that I was what you wanted me to be. You’ve told me many times and in many languages, that I am inadequate. I am inadequate, but only relative to you. Because it’s not about me. Who I am will never be enough for you because who you are, well, that person isn’t enough for you. The void that keeps you empty, there’s nothing that you ever find to fill that. Not even by swallowing me whole, can you fill that space.

You are a tangled collage that makes you cruel. From the beginning, it was about you, everything was a reflection of you, a reflection on you, and so, it had to be the way you wanted it. Not just as a reflection, but as a mask, or armor, a wall that you could you stand behind and hope people would admire what they saw. Smile, wave, and say goodnight, because the boutonniere has wilted and the corsage is drying up. We’ve lost that fresh pressed, creaseless appearance, and now, we have to retreat.

Lock the doors and hang the no solicitors sign, keep the shades drawn, because in here, well, we don’t want you to see what’s in here. What would the neighbors think? Crap! What if the neighbors are better than we are? That’s my fault too, because I’m not what she is, am I? Although, I’ll let you in on a secret: I saw her crying in her car once. I never told you, because I knew you’d be relieved to know that the neighbors aren’t better than we are, and I found that grotesque. The competition is horrible to me. I don’t want to play anymore.

I’m done now. I can’t pretend any longer. I’ve been done for a while, but I gutted up and did what was required of me. Now, I can’t do it anymore. If you don’t like what you see now, if you don’t think I reflect positively on you, then write me off, but let me go. Here’s the thing: I know you wrote me off years ago, you just wouldn’t let me go. Every “why can’t you” was another write off when you wished away a part of me hoping to replace it with someone else. The list of people from who you would have cobbled together a Frankenstein version of me is endless; there are always new candidates. Anyone is better than what you got.

You wrote me off for what I was – it wasn’t good enough. You wrote me off for I wasn’t – better, stronger, faster, stoic, and male. There’s no becoming less in your eyes. There’s no becoming more, either. You see me with contempt, and yet, you insist that you love me. That you will always love me, in a pathetic, pitying way. I am your ugly, three-legged dog that you alternately despise, then feel guilty for despising. If this is your love, there is nothing I want less.

Because what I want...is to be valued. I want for the people in my life to say, “You are enough as you are.” I don’t want people tell me what I need, what I should do, and how I should make my way through the world. There’s always something missing from those statements. Those “you should” statements never end with the truth. The truth is, “you should” ends with “to make me comfortable with you.” You should change you so I can be comfortable with you, because who you really are, makes me uncomfortable. You don’t fit in my vision of how my world should be. You don’t make me feel good about myself.

When I go forward on my own, I don’t think you’ll be able to be part of my life. I anticipate that you will find it uncomfortable, maybe even frightening, because the world in which you live is such a narrowly explored, narrowly defined place. I won’t live there ever again. I spent too long there already.

You say you’re worried for me, now. You fear that I won’t be okay. You worry I will suffer. Ironically, you don’t see the suffering I’ve already done trying to fit myself into the box in which you are contained. There was never room for me in there. Don’t worry: I don’t blame you…

I blame myself. I have a plethora of “I should” for my purposes, but I can wrap all of them into one: I should have been stronger much, much sooner. There’s a lot of catching up I need to do now. I’m starting my lists, thinking ahead, and working on my goals. Concentrating on what I have to look forward to helps me not to look back with regret too often.

I wonder how I will be when I don’t feel anxiety like a rat gnawing my stomach. Will I feel lost? Will I know what to do with myself? I’ve pulled so far into myself, I’m so curled within the nautilus, it may be days before I can ease out and straighten my spine. However long it takes, I will slip free of the shell and taste the world around me.

The saddest part about this is that you are not wholly terrible. You are not evil incarnate, or the worst, most vile creature to walk the planet. You’re human, you’re flawed; I am, too. Flaws are inevitable; acceptance is essential. If you had just accepted your own flaws, then you could have accepted mine. We could have worked past those flaws and become greater. Instead, the struggle became controlling and concealing the flaws. All the energy that was devoted to creating illusion, if it had only been directed to becoming better. That if only is the saddest I know.


A part of me is mourning these losses. My failure is sharp. My inclination to stay in the box, to stay safe, to please you, is something I am reminded of daily. Although, I am also reminded daily of how wrong this is for me, how this box will never fit. I know that I will never be what you want, and so, I’m asking you, please just let me go without making it harder. I will do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment